Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Depending on local law, publicly available information, such as business contact information, including your name, title or position, business, telephone or facsimile number, may not be considered personal information.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect and process different types of personal information in the course of operating our business and providing our services. These include:
- Contact information such as name, email address and telephone number;
- Biographical information such as job title, employer, professional associations, or regarding membership in industry trade groups;
- The products and/or services about which you have expressed an interest in obtaining further information or which you have purchased;
- Your attendance at conferences or trade shows;
- Data from any surveys or questionnaires that we may have provided to you;
- Past requests that you may have made for information from us;
- Recruitment information such as your curriculum vitae, your education and employment history, details of professional memberships and other information relevant to potential recruitment or association to or with MCSL;
- Unique IDs such as your mobile device identifier or cookie ID on your browser;
- IP address and information that may be derived from IP address, such as geographic location;
- Information about the content you access on our website and the nature of your visit, including the time of your visit to our website (by day, week, and duration) and whether you are a new visitor or a returning visitor;
- Information about a device you use, such as browser, device type, operating system, the presence or use of apps, screen resolution, and the preferred language.
How do we use personal information?
We may use personal information in the manner set out below. In each case, we identify the grounds that we rely on to use your personal information:
- To provide our products and to perform services—carrying out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us. Applicable legal grounds: contract performance, legitimate interests (to enable us to perform our obligations and provide our services), consent;
- To facilitate use of our website and social media channels and to ensure content is relevant—to tailor content that we may show you on our website and via our social media channels, to respond to requests for information or enquiries from visitors to our website, to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device and for analytical purposes to better understand digital interactions with our company. Applicable legal grounds: legitimate interests (to allow us to provide the content and services on the websites), consent, contract performance;
- For marketing and business development purposes—to administer subscriptions to our newsletters, social media channels, and other resources that you may subscribe to and to provide details of our products and services, updates and invitations to user conferences, seminars, webinars and events which you have chosen to receive. Applicable legal grounds: legitimate interests, consent;
- For research and development purposes—analysis to allow us to understand and predict future changes in our customer’s and potential customer’s needs and to improve our product and service offerings. Applicable legal grounds: legitimate interests (to allow us to improve our services);
- For recruitment purposes—to enable us to process applications for employment and to assess suitability for any position for which an individual may apply at MCSL. Applicable legal grounds: legitimate interests (to ensure that we can make the most appropriate recruitment decisions for MCSL), contract performance (in order for us to take steps to enter into a contract with someone who requested it);
- To fulfil legal or risk management obligations—for relevant background checks as may be required by applicable law, regulation and best practice at any given time, as well as to enforce our legal rights and/or to protect the rights of third parties. Applicable legal grounds: legal obligations, legal claims, legitimate interests;
- To establish and maintain commercial relationships with customers, suppliers and other third parties—to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments, evaluate credit standing and to recover any payments due to us and, where necessary, to enforce such recovery through the engagement of debt collection agencies or taking other legal action (including the commencement and carrying out of legal and court proceedings). Applicable legal grounds: contract performance, legal claims, legitimate interests (to ensure that we are paid for our services);
Duration of Processing
MCSL maintains personal information only as long as it is required to fulfill the purpose under which it was gathered, unless required by law to retain for longer periods or other purposes. Where MCSL determines that personal information is no longer required, we will securely destroy such information as soon as it is commercially reasonable to do so.
Sharing of Information
We may also share personal information with certain third parties such as:
- Third-party service providers who provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services to us, including allowing us to analyze the usage of our website, engagement on our social media channels, our ability to effectively communicate with our customers and potential customers, and understand ways to improve our products or services. These third parties may have access to, or process personal information as part of providing those services for us. We limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and our contracts with them require them to maintain the confidentiality of such information;
- Law enforcement and governmental entities when required by law. For greater clarity, we may disclose personal information or other information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with applicable laws, in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies; and
- An acquirer, successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
Selling of Personal Information
MCSL does not collect any personal information for the purpose of selling that personal information. Despite this, some jurisdictions require us to make the following additional statements:
- We have not sold any personal information in the past twelve months.
- We do not sell personal information to third parties.
Requesting access, changes, or limits to your own Information
Under applicable law, you may request from us the following:
- a copy of any of your personal information which we may have;
- to update or correct any inaccuracies in your personal information that we may have;
- to request that we limit our use of your personal information, including but not limited to instructing us not using your personal information for a specific purpose;
- to erase some or all of your personal information that we do not have a legal entitlement to keep; or
- withdraw any previously provided consent for our use of your personal information.
To make any of the above requests to access, change, or impose limits on the use of your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com with details of your request. For the purposes of verifying your identity we may ask that you provide us sufficient personal details to allow us to identify you, which may include but may not be limited to your full legal name, your email address, your phone number, and/or your mailing or physical address. Such information will only be used for the purpose of verifying your identity.
In addition, while MCSL does not sell personal information to third parties, some jurisdictions still require that we provide you a means to opt out of the sale of your personal information to third parties.
What are cookies and how are they used?
Cookies are unique identifiers or tokens of agreement from a web server that are saved in a small text file on your computer when you access a MCSL web site through a browser. We can use this information to track visits to web pages (which ones, how many times) or to personalize web page content.
You can find more information about how to do manage cookies for all the commonly used internet browsers by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org. This website will also explain how you can delete cookies which are already stored on your device.
We currently use the following cookies:
Basic functionality cookies
Required to offer basic functionalities of our website, to deliver services users have requested and to remember a user’s cookie settings:
Collection of data to allow us to understand how our visitors use our website and how we can improve our website:
- Google Analytics
- Mouse flow
Remember user choices to improve the user’s experience and to provide enhanced and personalized features:
- Active Campaign Site Tracking
Collect anonymous data on the pages visited and determine devices used by the user:
Third party cookies used for load balancing, caching, content management, and third-party authentication:
Third-party targeting and advertising cookies
These cookies collect data about the user’s browsing habits in order to provide advertising relevant to the user’s interests:
- DoubleClick Google
- Facebook Pixel
- Active Campaign Site Tracking
How to Contact Us?
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions related to data privacy, please contact us at:
c/o MCSL Privacy
PO Box 24087
Victoria, BC, Canada